Toddlers FAQ’s & Answers
1. Q. What kind of schedule do toddlers follow at Sandbox?
A. The toddler schedule offers a wide variety of activities encouraging physical, emotional, creative and intellectual skills. Focus is on a variety of learning. A lot of choice is offered from active to quiet activities, from social to solitary, from easy to challenging, in each individual way. Toddlers are learning to take care of their own needs such as eating, hand washing, cleaning up, hanging up cots, etc. Changes are made gradually. Toddlers are on the move, investigating everything in its planned environment.
2. Q. How will parents know if their child is eating and sleeping well? Getting along with others?
A. A daily report goes home each day telling parents how the child ate, slept eliminated and how well the social skills are going. If problems occur, they will be noted in the daily report.
3. Q. Do toddlers sleep on cots or in cribs?
A. Toddlers slip on cots.
4. Q. How do Toddlers stay on cots?
A. Staff sits next to each toddler and rubs backs until toddler falls asleep. Toddlers are tired and fall asleep quickly.
5. Q. What is the staff to child ratio?
A. DCFS requires a 1 to 5 ratio. Sandbox often provides a 1 to 4 ratio depending on the time of day.
6. Q. When should parents start potty training?
A. When the child begins to show interest in the potty and is dry for long period of time, potty training can begin with a small potty chair. When parents start at home, Sandbox also makes an effort at school.
7. Q. Can toddlers bring a blanket and binkey to Sandbox?
8. Q. Can staff administer medicine to a toddler?
A. Sandbox has a “no medicine policy” due to increase liability and the fact that doctors now prescribe medicine to be administered every 12 hours. Exceptions might be made after a discussion and a written permission slip from the doctor on a prescription pad. Daily parent consent forms must also be signed.
9. Q. Can a toddler bring his or her own lunch?
A. Only with a written note from the doctor on a prescription pad.
10. Q. Do toddlers bring their own sippy cups?
A. No Sandbox provides.
11. Q. How often are diapers changed?
A. Every two hours.