The Sandbox 2′s & Young 3′s – Mini School or Tiny Threes
A Sandbox Child is a Well Loved Child
Caring for your child’s health, safety, feelings of security and trust is the most important crucial responsibility of the Sandbox Staff and the families in Sandbox care. Sandbox 2’s and Young 3’s are 23 months through 30 months of age. Preschool and day care are available for this age group of children.
The goal of the 2’s & 3’s program is to provide care in such a way that growth and “well being” is nurtured throughout the day, ensuring safe, close, secure relationships.
A SANDBOX CHILD WILL FEEL:
1. Comfort in connecting with a trusted staff.
2. An expectation that his/her needs will be met.
3. An assumption of his/her right to move, explore and express emotion.
4. Understood in expression, communication and needs.
5. Encouraged in interaction and exploration of the environment.
6. Facilitated in social interaction and peer relationships.
7. Comfort in the developmentally appropriate activities.
GOALS FOR THE 2’S & YOUNG 3’S:
1. To be safe and free from harm.
2. To feel comfortable and secure in a well planned environment.
3. To prepare the way for future learning with interesting things to do.
4. To explore educational opportunities, experiences, and continue to build language.
5. To maximize the learning appropriate for this developmental age.
6. To enable the child to develop a confident attitude towards self.
7. To move and control their bodies with growing confidence.
8. To know the child is unique, important, loved and can be successful.
9. To expose the child to the joys of social interaction.
10. To develop warm and trusting attitude towards others.
11. To continue developing self-help skills and love of learning.
12. To nurture that wonderful, perceptual, and persistent curiosity.
CURRICULUM FOR 2’S & YOUNG 3’S
- Freeplay – is planned and stimulating environment allowing exploration, experimentation, and problem solving.
- Music and Finger Plays involving rhythm, action and interaction, socialization and self-awareness.
- Early Readiness increased vocabulary phonological awareness, letters, number concepts, patterns, measurement and spatial sense.
- Motor Development –movement for large and small muscles encouraging body awareness, coordination and flexibility.
- Snack – a time for social interaction, good manners, proper procedures and getting to know about healthy foods.
- Art Awareness – more in-depth introductions to color, size, shape, as well as continued exploration of the many wonderful materials and tools used in creative art.
SANDBOX KNOWS THAT:
1. Positive child care prepares children for future success in school and life.
2. A young child’s “well being” is strongly related to, and makes a difference to other areas of development.
3. The child’s brain, which continues to develop at an astonishing rate, is directly influenced by the quality of relationships and experiences provided.
4. A young child’s environment should be set up in such a way that each child feels successful.
5. Parents and caregivers help young children to be understood and emotionally involved in their world.
6. Doing things with children has emotional relevance.
7. Children must be allowed to express feelings openly.
8. Parents and caregivers encourage children to be aware of other’s feelings and interests.
9. Parents and caregivers need to offer empathy to children to validate their feelings.
10. Confidence and feelings of competence are developing.